Sunday, August 8, 2010

I bought a new CD today. I have been listening to Amy Grant ever since I can remember. I grew up memorizing all the lyrics and idolizing her. Anyways, she came out with a new CD recently and it had a song on it that I really liked called "Better Than a Hallelujah". It talks about how God just wants us to be real, how He doesn't want us to just go through the motions of singing praise songs, but to really worship Him from deep down and be open and raw with Him...it is a really thought provoking song. God can handle whatever we throw His way, our anger, our hurt, our confusion, and also our love, our praise, our adoration...all of it!
So back to the CD...I picked it up today and was listening to it on the way home and another one of her songs just hit me. Yep, it smacked me right upside the head. The lyrics said,
"If it all just happened overnight, you wouldn't know how much it means.
If it all just happened overnight, you would never believe what you
cannot see."
Wow..I know this is common sense for most people, but it is so hard for me to remember in my daily life. I want everything to be good, to be okay, and to be fixed, and I want it now. I am fully willing to admit that. I don't like to wait when it comes to having things turn out okay. I don't like hurting, and I don't like to see others hurt. But you know what? If it happened overnight, I don't think I would appreciate it. If my marriage was perfect overnight, we wouldn't grow closer through the trials. If my kids became little angelsovernight, I wouldn't be able to work through life with them and see how far they have come. If people were healed overnight, if friendships and marriages were built overnight, I really think we would miss out on so much. Not all of it would be good, but all of it would build us into the person God wants us to be. Along the way, we would hurt, laugh, cry and celebrate with the people we love, and at the end, we could look back at the memories and the growth that took place.
Life may stink sometimes, but the process of living is what God uses to mold us to what He wants us to be....deep thoughts for a simple lyric :)

1 comment: