Saturday, May 22, 2010

The Spa

So I have caved...Who says peer pressure ends in high school? Some friends of mine keep telling me I need to start a blog, and I have finally given in. Why? I am not sure yet, because I don't tend to have a very interesting life, but then again, maybe boring is the new thing, so in honor of Susan and Chris, here goes nothing.

drum roll please *****

I went to the spa today for the very first time. My friend's husband, in cahoots with my husband, planned this day for us for Mothers Day. So off to the spa I went. I have never been to a spa before; I think I have only had three manicures in my life, so I was excited but a little nervous.

I learned a few things from my day at the spa, however...

1. Touch is definitely not my love language--pretty much already knew this. Don't get me wrong, I love being touched somewhat, but I am not touchy feely. At all. So getting a massage was a little uncomfortable for me, out of my comfort zone. Then the lady said "You're a little tense." All I could think was "Really? You are rubbing all over my body and it is kind of awkward" Of course, I didn't say that out loud...well, not exactly. She then proceeded to explain that when she works out the knots, she is bursting little bubbles of toxins in my body so I should make sure I drink a lot of water to flush them out. Then I am, lying there imagining toxins flowing through my body, kind of like the little green bacteria that are in all the commercials...yep those, just running through my body. In fact, this thought has crossed my mind more than once today...not a pretty thought, but made me drink my water, so all is good.

2. Peppermint scent + steam room + 90 degrees + tightly enclosed space = panic?
We then went into a steam room, it started out ok, loved the smell of peppermint...thought to myself, "this should be fun". We were in close quarters which was fine because I love my friend and we were not touching (not my love language) but the longer I sat in there, the harder it was to breathe. I felt like I was going to suffocate at some points. I don't mind humidity, but WOW! Peppermint is not so good when you can't breathe. We had to open the door and let some actual oxygen in a few times, but it made for some good laughs.

3. I have anger issues
I never knew this. Sure, I have been angry at times, but I learned the difference between being mad and being angry. After much examination, ok, laughing and talking over lunch, I realize there might be some areas in my life that I have anger about. Guess that is something else I need to work on...

Overall, it was a wonderful day, and I am much more relaxed. I did enjoy it, awkward moments and all, and it gave me a good idea...I think I should take Megan to a spa for her thirteenth birthday for an introduction to being a woman. She would love it!

Disclaimer*** I am not an angry person, I think I worried my husband and my mom. It was just kind of a joke because we were talking about how anger affects the way you act towards people and feel about people. So, yes, I have times of anger, but it was more of one of those things "Hey, how was the spa?" "Good...I learned I have anger issues...who knew?" Well, anyways, it was funny while we were sitting there talking about it, maybe not so much now :)

4 comments:

  1. I laughed...I cried...you moved me! I love your sense of humor and sarcasm and the flowery talk! The spa would have been okay but going with you made it a fabulous day. Thanks my dear friend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought it was good. Enjoyed reading it, but you will have to tell me about your anger issues!
    Love you

    ReplyDelete
  3. hey, I like what you did with the blog! Looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I still think the anger issues are funny : )

    ReplyDelete